Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal.
It’s Christmas night. The anticipation, the prep work, the scheming and charging, and baking and shopping are all done. All that’s left is the cleaning, organizing, exchanging, and reminiscing. A mother’s work is never done.
This was an easier year than usual for me since my little chicklets are growing up and getting to an age that they are actually helpful when they want to be.
For example, Emma offered to make the dessert for tonight. You got it, kid!
She’s an old hat at whipping up an Oreo crust, but this time she used Mint Oreos, and boy! was that a smart choice.
Just crush two sleeves of Oreos, combine them with a stick of melted butter, and smush them into a pie pan. That’s it. No oven, no fuss. Pop it in the fridge while you whip up the rest of the layers.
Then beat some heavy cream until it looks like whipped cream (albeit unsweetened) and put that aside for a minute. In the same bowl, beat a block of room-temperature cream cheese with a half cup of sugar, then fold in the whipped cream.
Take two thirds of the cream mixture and add some peppermint extract and green food coloring. Spread it on top of your Oreo crust for the second layer of your “lasagna.” Pop it all back in the fridge for a smidge. 😉
The other third of the cream mixture is going to get the chocolate treatment. Add some cocoa AND syrup just for extra measure. No need to skimp. This is a Christmas dessert, and Christmas desserts are supposed to be decadent. Wait until your peppermint layer has had time to set before adding your chocolate layer.
Top it all with crushed Andes mints or mini chocolate chips and a few Oreos.
Give it another go round in the fridge before you slice it and serve it, just so the layers stay set.
I’m so proud of Emma for throwing this together all on her own. Not only was it delicious, but it freed up some extra time for me to play around with my sister.
Aren’t we just the cutest?!
- 2 sleeves of Mint Oreos (2/3rds of a standard package)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup
- 1 Tbl. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 4-5 drops green food coloring
- Crushed Andes mints (optional, for garnish)
- Place Oreos in the bowl of a food processor. Add the melted butter and whizz to fine crumbs. Pour the contents into a small lasagna or pie dish, press down with the back of a spoon, then pop in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Whip the heavy cream to soft peaks with a mixer. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with sugar. Fold in whipped cream.
- Place a third of this cream mixture into a separate bowl. To this third, add the chocolate syrup and cocoa powder and mix to combine.
- To the remaining two thirds of the mixture, add the peppermint extract and a few drops of green food coloring. Fold through, being careful not to over mix and deflate the whipped cream.
- Bring out your set Oreo crust. Start with the green peppermint mixture; spoon evenly over the base. Freeze for 10-30 minutes to firm up. Then spoon over the chocolate mixture and smooth out. Sprinkle with Andes (or chocolate chips).
- Refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight) to set.
- Emma doubled this recipe for Christmas, so her pan is larger than what you'd need for these portions.